After learning foundational art and computer animation skills and exploring a variety of 3D disciplines, you may elect to specialize in Modeling. Models are the foundation of all 3D media. Every medium, whether its imagery is computer-generated or live action, requires 3D models. Specializing in Modeling will prepare you to build these assets in an efficient and detail-oriented method. The end result is high-quality models ready to meet the needs of any production.
In the Modeling stream, you will study disciplines including Sculpting, Design, Modeling, Surfacing, and Lighting. With the goal of being as skilled and prepared for the marketplace as possible, you will create a demo reel with production-ready models. The work will cover the spectrum from environments and props to full, working, character animation models. These assets will be presented in a cinematic, professional-quality demo reel that showcases your work.
Students specializing in Modeling often go on to work as character, prop, and environment modelers in the video game, commercial, film, and TV industries. For more about career paths, check out the 3D Animation & Visual Effects Careers page.
- Sculpt in traditional media
- Gather necessary reference and data to model objects
- Design project elements
- Build efficient 3D geometry
- Model props and environments
- Model characters with proper anatomy
- Rig characters for animation
- Create realistic surface shaders and textures
- Light characters and environments
- Render and composite images
- Troubleshoot problem situations
- Optimize work for different media, such as film and games
- Present work for feedback
A Modeling Reel
Created by Vancouver Film School student Gary Do through the VFS 3D Animation & Visual Effects program.
Created by Vancouver Film School student Omar Fernandes through the VFS 3D Animation & Visual Effects program.
Modeling in Action
Watch Max Wahyudi's modeling reel As Time Goes By.
Modeling Photo Slideshow
Check out the images showing Max's process in his reel's creation.
See more Modeling Reels in the VFS showcase.